Monday, November 2, 2009

Exclusive Interview with BET News Sharon Carpenter

Hey People,

I told you guys that I would bring you exclusive interviews of  BET Talent and people who are behind the scenes of BET. Last month I gave you guys "The Deal" DJ Diamond Kuts. Today I had the opportunity to interview BET News Correspondant, Sharon Carpenter. I have been working closely with Sharon, styling her for BET News, Awards and  other Events.


Dress: Stop Staring
Shoes: Velvet Rose
Styling: DBrown
Dina: Where are you originally  from/Where do you reside?
Sharon Carpenter: I’m originally from Watford, a town just outside of North London in the UK

I now reside in Brooklyn, NY

Dina: What school did you attend and what was your major?
Sharon Carpenter:  I went to Pace University in Manhattan where my major was Business Management



Dina: How long have you been reporting/corresponding?
Sharon Carpenter:  I’ve been an on-air correspondent/producer for BET for about 4 years.  Before doing this I was a reporter for CBS Marketwatch.  I started off in the news business working behind-the-scenes as an associate producer and quickly worked my way up to a producer position.



Dina: When did you first realize you eanted to be a reporter?
Sharon Carpenter:  I first realized I wanted to be in television after getting a taste of it hosting a public access music video show while I was in school.  I would go out and interview artists and other celebrities for the show and I’d always get compliments on the way I conducted my interviews.  But it wasn’t until I came across the person who later became my mentor that I realized news would be a good direction for me.  I actually met him when covering an event for the video show.  He was the news director of a local NY newscast and ended up giving me my first opportunity in the field of news.


Dina: How long have you been doing BET News?
Sharon Carpenter: As mentioned above I’ve been a reporter for BET News for around 4 years.



Dina: How did you get this Gig?
Sharon Carpenter:  I got the job basically by working hard, working my way up in the industry and being persistent. I had already been a producer for BET News so the team was very aware of my skills in that area. After leaving and building up my on-camara expertise at cbs marketwatch, BET was very interested in having me back but this time on-air especially since the network had decided to go with a younger, edgier approach to news which fit my look and style.



Dina: What are some other things that you like to do?
Sharon Carpenter:  I absolutely love my job and the fact that I get to meet some of the most interesting people in the world (not just celebs but everyday people with amazing stories) and I often get to be at the center of major world events like the election and inauguration of President Obama.  Most of what I do right now revolves around my career but when I’m not working I love to catch up and enjoy quality time with friends and family.  I love trying new restaurants, I love music and seeing live performances but my favorite thing to do during downtime is travel home to England or to my favorite country, Barbados, to relax on the beach.


Dina: Where so you see yourself in 5 years?
Sharon Carpenter: I'm not 100 percent sure where I see myself in 5 years but I want to continue telling important and exciting stories and hope to keep inspiring young people who are thinking about a career in journalism.



Dina: How would you describe your style?
Sharon Carpenter: I would describe my personal style as simple yet chic, classy but sexy.



Dina: What is your favorite Trend/what Trend do you dislike?
Sharon Carpenter: Right now my favorite trend for fall/winter is over-the-knee boots I also like the layered pearls look which adds a touch of sophistication to any outfit. I can't think of a trend I don't like but remember not all trends fit everybody and it's important to rock clothes and styles you feel comfortable in.



Dina: What is something taht every women should have in there closet/ Every man?
Sharon Carpenter: Every woman should have a white tank top in their closet. I have several different types.  You can dress it down with a pair of jeans or dress it up by tucking it into a fabulous skirt and adding some cool accessories.  It’s a simple piece yet very sexy. Every man should have a stylish (well fitting but not too fitted) white t-shirt.  That with a cool pair of slightly distressed jeans always looks great.


Dina: What is your favorite store to shop in/
Sharon Carpenter:  My favorite store to shop in is Intermix


Dina: What are some suggestions you would have for aspiring Reporters who would like to break into the industry?
Sharon Carpenter: Words of advice for aspiring journalists - put your all into any opportunity you get to enter or learn about the business.  Things don’t happen overnight so be prepared to work your way up in the industry like I did.  Network, ask lots of questions, stay focused and work really, really hard.  Public access television is a great way to gain on-camera experience and interviewing skills. Nick Cannon and I both got our start on public access TV.  Internships are also a great way to get your foot in the door.  One of the most important things people need to know is being a journalist doesn’t just mean going on camera to report a story.  You have to know how to produce too because most of the time if not all the time, you’ll be producing your own stories and writing your own scripts. be prepared to work some crazy hours and make sacrifices for your career and if you really want it don't let anyone deter you, just go for it!





Love Live Style


D Brown



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi

I read this post 2 times. It is very useful.

Pls try to keep posting.

Let me show other source that may be good for community.

Source: Carpenter interview questions

Best regards
Jonathan.